Vaginal dryness can cause discomfort and disturb your sex life | & nbspPhoto Credit: & nbspGetty Images
- Almost half of the number of women suffers from vaginal dryness.
- Vaginal dryness occurs due to a reduction in estrogen levels.
- It has the potential to make sex painful and uncomfortable.
Let's understand some easy science before talking about remedies to treat vaginal dryness. The walls of the vagina remain normally lubricated due to the glands. These glands keep the vagina flexible and moist. This moisture is slightly acidic in nature, which keeps the vaginal area healthy and safe from infections. Vaginal dryness is the result of this moisture reduction. It is the result of the decrease in estrogen levels.
Well, vaginal dryness is not a concern for some women, but for others it can have an effect on sexual life by causing pain and discomfort during intercourse. It can also increase the chances of infection. There are easy solutions available for this problem, but first let's look at the causes.
- A drop in estrogen levels: Primarily vaginal dryness is due to a fall in the level of estrogen. These levels fall during or when menopause approaches. When estrogen decreases, the vagina becomes thinner, less elastic and drier. These changes are known as vaginal atrophy.
- Sjogren's syndrome: This syndrome involves inflammation of the salivary and lacrimal glands. The tissues that line the vagina can also become inflamed, which leads to dryness.
- Antihistamines: These medications are used to treat colds and allergies, however, their side effects can be vaginal dryness and problems with urination.
- Antidepressants: Some antidepressants can have harmful effects on our sex life. It can make orgasm difficult, reduce libido and cause vaginal dryness.
- Menopause: In general, estrogen levels decrease due to menopause and, therefore, is one of the leading causes of vaginal dryness.
- Some other causes are not enough previous games before sex, douching, breastfeeding, birth control pills.
1. Regular sex
An active sex life is one of the solutions for vaginal dryness. Blood flow to the vaginal tissues increases when a woman becomes excited and this helps create moisture.
Having enough pregame and excitement before intercourse will also reduce dryness and make sex more pleasant.
2. Wearing cotton underwear
Synthetic underwear can be sticky and cause more irritation in the vagina and restrict air flow. Cotton underwear provides enough air to the vagina.
3. Food with phytoestrogens: tofu, nuts, seeds.
These are compounds that are similar in function to estrogen. Foods rich in phytoestrogens include soy, nuts, seeds, tofu, among others.
Research has said that phytoestrogens help improve vaginal dryness and hot flashes.
4. Avoid using scented soaps / hygiene products.
Around the vaginal area, unscented soaps should be used to prevent dryness. In addition, hygiene products contain dyes and fragrances that can dry vaginal tissues. The vagina has the property of self-cleaning and, therefore, there is no need to apply fragrant soaps.
If in spite of these solutions, if the problems persist, visit a doctor. Also in case of bleeding, severe pain during intercourse, excessive discharge, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
You should also opt for a medical service for vaginal dryness in case of removal of both ovaries by surgery, radiation therapy for cancer, chemotherapy for cancer and hormonal treatments for breast cancer.
In addition, vaginal dryness faces almost half the number of women after menopause, but it must be addressed. Mild symptoms can be treated with moisturizers and vaginal lubricants during sexual intercourse. In addition, smoking lowers estrogen levels, so it gives you another reason to quit smoking.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or professional health care provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.